Elevate your golf game with the optimal shaft for your golf clubs. At PXG, we understand that the right golf shaft is not just about choosing between graphite and steel. It’s about precision, performance, and unlocking your full potential on the course.
Selecting the optimal golf club shaft is a critical decision for any golfer. Your shaft choice directly impacts your swing speed, club weighting, and overall performance. A mismatched shaft can hinder your ability to hit straight and far, holding you back from reaching your peak potential.
FIND THE BEST SHAFT FOR YOUR GOLF SWING
At PXG, our shaft matrix undergoes rigorous testing and selection by the PXG Engineering Team to ensure excellence in every club. And while we always recommend scheduling an in-person fitting or calling PXG Sales & Support at 844.PLAY.PXG for advice, we’ve built the ultimate golf club shaft guide to help empower your decisions!
Here’s everything you need to know about shaft selection as well as details and benefits for every golf club shaft in our matrix!
Back to Contents
1. WHICH SHAFTS WILL I TEST DURING MY PXG FITTING?
During your PXG custom fitting, a PXG Fitting Specialist will work with you to find your baseline swing data, often using your current golf clubs. Using their years of expertise in golf swing analysis, your PXG Fitter will quickly narrow down your initial golf shaft and clubhead options to test.
Typically, a player will test anywhere between 5-10 clubhead and shaft combinations from the thousands available in our matrix. Once a player has warmed up, our fitters look to find the right shaft in as few swings as possible so that we are using the most accurate data to ensure that performance gains translate to improvements on the course.
2. DOES PXG MAKE STOCK SHAFTS?
We are frequently asked if we make our own stock shafts. PXG’s focus remains on clubhead technology and performance which is why we work with the very best premium shaft manufacturers to select the shafts that become part of our matrix. Each shaft is chosen by our engineers based on how it performs with our clubhead technology and meets the needs of a players’ various swing characteristics. That being said, the PXG M16 putter shaft is our first venture into the design and manufacturing of our own shaft.
3. DOES SHAFT SELECTION REALLY IMPACT GOLF PERFORMANCE?
Selecting the right shaft for your PXG clubs absolutely impacts performance – and your enjoyment of the game! Length, shaft material, weight, shaft flex, and torque are all characteristics important in the shaft selection process. The proper shaft will work with your tendencies to improve consistency of contact, launch conditions, and direction.
Playing a shaft that’s too stiff or too weak may cause a player to struggle with starting the ball online or with creating optimal launch conditions. A fitting is the easiest way to gain distance and accuracy with immediate results. Allow our PXG Fitting Specialists to find the right shaft for your swing. Call 1.844.PLAY.PXG today or find a PXG fitting location near you.
4. WHAT ABOUT GRAPHITE VERSUS STEEL? HOW DO STEEL SHAFTS VERSUS GRAPHITE SHAFTS COMPARE?
Steel shafts are typically heavier than graphite shafts and provide a more stable feel. Players with a slower swing tempo often prefer graphite shafts to support increased swing speed and distance.
Graphite shafts also tend to absorb vibrations better than steel shafts meaning that those off-center strikes don’t reverberate up the shaft to sensitive hands, wrists, and elbows.
Professional golfers and low handicappers often prefer steel shafts for their consistency and the increased shaft feedback felt from misfires and off-center hits.
5. HOW DO I KNOW WHAT MY SWING SPEED IS?
During a PXG custom fitting, your PXG Fitting Specialist will use TrackMan to measure and assess your swing speed accurately.
|Under 200 yards
|Under 75 mph
|Ladies or Senior
|200 to 240 yards
|75 to 95 mph
|240 to 275 yards
|95 to 110 mph
|Over 275 yards
|Over 110 mph
In general terms, the faster the swing, the stiffer the shaft required. At higher speeds, the shaft will deflect more. Our goal during a fitting is to find a shaft that matches your swing and delivers the clubhead in a proper and consistent orientation at impact.
6. HOW DO I FIND THE RIGHT SHAFT FLEX?
Other than swing speed, there are several factors that might determine which shaft flex best suits your swing. Tempo, clubhead speed, ball speed, spin, and distance are all tracked during a PXG custom fitting to help your fitter find the best golf shaft and clubhead combination needed to enhance your performance.
Feel and confidence are also important factors. But ultimately, your PXG Fitting Specialist will rely on years of fitting experience and swing data to provide the most informed recommendation for your game.
7. HOW IS CLUB LENGTH MEASURED AT PXG?
Club length measurements can vary by manufacturer. At PXG, we use the USGA standard for measuring club length. This involves placing the clubhead against a block angled at 60 degrees and measuring down the shaft axis to the end of the club. We make all of our measurements to the end of the shaft before the club is gripped to maximize consistency.
8. WHAT DO THE LETTERS L, A, R, S, X ON THE SHAFT MEAN?
PXG offers golf club shafts across the rating spectrum: Extra Stiff, Stiff, Regular, Senior, and Ladies, denoted by the letters X, S, R, A, and L (“A” is used for Senior because this flex was originally called “amateur”).
At PXG we build your club to enhance your unique swing, regardless of age or gender!
9. WHAT FLEX GOLF SHAFT SHOULD I USE?
Finding the right flex for your golf shaft can improve your accuracy, trajectory, and distance. The flex rating denotes the golf shaft’s ability to bend during the golf swing.
Shafts are designed to have different bend profiles to deliver the clubhead differently at impact.
Two shafts of the same flex designation may have different bend profiles that create very different results. If a golfer uses too weak of a shaft, they might experience difficulty delivering the clubhead in a consistent manner. Conversely, using a shaft that is too stiff may make it difficult to get the face of the club squared to the target at impact. In both scenarios, launch conditions likely aren’t optimized, leading to shorter golf shots. We recommend getting fit for a shaft either in person, over the phone, or on our website to find what shaft will work best for you.
10. HOW DO I CHOOSE MY SHAFT WEIGHT?
The number shown on your golf shaft is the weight of the shaft in grams. Heavier shafts tend to suit bigger, stronger golfers who swing the club faster. Lighter golf shafts make it easier to increase clubhead speed and so typically suit golfers with a lower swing speed.
If a shaft is too light, a player may experience inconsistency in distance and direction. During a fitting, a player will try multiple weights to maximize distance while minimizing dispersion.
11. DOES “TORQUE” MATTER IN A GOLF SHAFT?
Torque is measured in degrees and describes the shaft’s torsional stiffness, or resistance to twisting. A high-torque shaft rating means more twist occurs compared to a low-torque shaft which better resists twisting.
Golfers with a smooth swing may encounter a harsh feel and trouble starting the ball on the target line with too low of a torque rating.
A strong golfer with a fast swing may experience a lack of feel for the clubhead’s position and a lack of control with too high of a torque rating.
12. WHAT DOES “FREQUENCY” IN A GOLF SHAFT MEAN?
The frequency of a golf shaft, measured in cycles per minute (CPM), refers to a test in which a club is clamped at the grip end, then flexed and released. The frequency is a measure of the rate of oscillation, which correlates to stiffness. High CPM shafts are stiffer than lower CPM shafts.
At PXG, we take multiple frequency measurements of every shaft we consider for our matrix. This data gives us more information on bend profile of the shaft and how it is intended to perform.
13. WHAT DOES “SPINNING” IN A GOLF SHAFT MEAN?
Shaft companies often refer to shafts as having launch and spin characteristics. For example, one shaft may be “high launch, high spin” while another is “low launch, low spin.” These designations are a simplified explanation of the profile of the shaft, a measure of how stiff the shaft is at each point along its length. High launch, high spin shafts generally have weaker tip sections and are designed to increase the loft angle at impact for higher trajectory, while low launch, low spin shafts are stiffer in the tip section for the opposite effect.
While these correlations hold true for many golfers, there are always exceptions to the rule because each of us has our own unique swing. We recommend getting fit and testing a variety of profiles to see what works best for you.
14. CAN I ADJUST THE LENGTH OF MY IRONS WITHOUT IMPACTING PERFORMANCE?
Adjusting the length of your irons will affect the swing weight of the clubs. If you keep the head weight the same, clubs feel heavier as they get longer and lighter as they get shorter. We use swing weights to create a consistent feel throughout the set. During the build process, we match swing weights throughout the set to the clubs with which you were fit to ensure you are getting exactly what you expect. Adjusting the length without adjusting head weight may cause a change in how heavy your clubs feel.
15. IF I CHOOSE A LONGER DRIVER SHAFT, WILL I HIT IT FARTHER?
Theoretically, yes. Longer driver shafts produce more clubhead speed and higher launch. However, longer clubs can also lead to inconsistency in contact and direction, so while your maximum distance may go up, your average distance may go down.
16. ARE THERE RIGHT-HANDED AND LEFT-HANDED SHAFTS?
No, the USGA regulations on golf shafts require that shafts must be designed to perform the same for all orientations.
17. ARE DRIVER AND FAIRWAY WOOD SHAFTS THE SAME?
Yes, PXG uses the term “wood shafts” to describe driver and fairway wood shafts. Generally, players will use a slightly heavier shaft in their fairway woods than in their driver. However, some players opt to use the same shafts in their fairway woods and driver.
18. DOES PXG OFFER LADIES AND SENIOR SHAFTS?
Yes, PXG offers ladies and senior flex shafts. We recommend getting fit either in person, over the phone, or online to determine what shaft flex works best for you.
If you’re serious about your golf game, then now is the time to get fitted. PXG Fitting Specials are standing by to help you get fit via phone at 1.844.PLAY.PXG, online, or at a PXG location near you!
INTRODUCING PXG’S SHAFT MATRIX
PXG SHAFT OPTIONS FOR DRIVERS AND FAIRWAYS
Back to Contents
MCA Diamana S+:
Experience precision with the MCA Diamana S+ wood shaft. Available in both 60g (R, S, X) and 70g (S, X) options, this shaft delivers a balanced blend of power and control. Whether you’re looking for a responsive Regular flex or the stiffness of an Extra Stiff flex, the Diamana S+ is designed to enhance your swing and optimize performance on the course.
MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue:
Unleash the potential of your swing with the MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue wood shaft. Offering a dynamic range of options from 55g (R, R2) to 65g (R, S), this shaft is engineered for players seeking a responsive and consistent feel. The blue raw finish adds a touch of style, while the different flex options allow you to tailor the shaft to your playing style and preferences.
MCA Tensei AV Raw White:
Elevate your game with the MCA Tensei AV Raw White wood shaft. Boasting options in 65g (X) and 75g (X), this shaft is designed for players who demand precision and power. The white raw finish adds a sleek aesthetic, while the Extra Stiff flex provides the stability and control needed for optimal performance.
MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link Blue:
Enhance your swing with the MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link Blue wood shaft. Available in 55g (R), 65g (R, S), and 75g (S), this shaft is designed to provide a responsive and stable feel. The blue X-Link design not only adds visual appeal but also offers players options to match their preferred flex and achieve consistent results on the course.
MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link White:
Take control of your game with the MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link White wood shaft. With options in 65g (S, X) and 75g (S, X), this shaft combines a stylish white X-Link design with the stability and control needed for a powerful swing. Whether you prefer a Stiff or Extra Stiff flex, the Tensei AV Series X-Link White is tailored to optimize your performance.
Unleash speed and agility with the PX Cypher wood shaft. Weighing in at 40g (4.0, 5.0, 5.5) and 50g (5.0, 5.5, 6.0), this lightweight shaft is perfect for players seeking increased swing speed and a responsive feel. The PX Cypher is available in various flex options, allowing you to customize your clubs for optimal performance on the course.
PX Evenflow Riptide CB:
Experience smooth and consistent performance with the PX Evenflow Riptide CB wood shaft. With options ranging from 40g (4.0, 5.0) to 60g (5.5, 6.0), this shaft is designed to provide stability and control throughout your swing. The Evenflow Riptide CB offers a blend of power and precision, making it an excellent choice for players looking to elevate their game.
PX HZRDUS Black GEN4:
Achieve unparalleled power with the PX HZRDUS Black GEN4 wood shaft. Available in 60g (6.0, 6.5) and 70g (6.0, 6.5), this shaft is engineered for players seeking a stable and explosive feel. The HZRDUS Black GEN4 delivers a penetrating ball flight and optimal control, making it an ideal choice for players who demand maximum performance from their woods.
Upgrades are available on all Drivers and Fairways shafts. PXG’s current upgradable options in the shaft matrix include:
- Fujikura Motore X F3: Priced higher for its exceptional performance, available in a range of flex options (R2, R, S, X).
- MCA Kurokage Black: Weighing 45g (L) and 55g (A, R, S), a premium choice for players seeking a lightweight, responsive shaft.
- MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange: Available in 55g (R, S, X), designed for players looking for a responsive and dynamic feel.
- UST Helium Black: Weighing 4 (F3) and 5 (F4), providing a unique feel and enhanced performance for an additional investment.
- Fujikura AIR Speeder: A lightweight option at 40g (R2, R), offering increased swing speed.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-GP: Available in 7 (X) and 8 (X), a premium choice for players seeking stability and control.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-HD: Options in 4 (R2), 5 (R, S), providing a smooth and responsive feel.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ: Designed for stability, available in 5 (R2, R) and 6 (S, X).
- Graphite Design Tour AD-TP: Options in 5 (R, S), 6 (S, X), and 7 (S, X), providing versatile performance.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-VR: Available in 5 (R), 6 (S), and 7 (S), delivering a unique blend of feel and control.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-UB: Options in 5 (R, S) and 6 (S), offering versatility for different player preferences.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-XC: Ranges from 4 (R2) to 7 (S, X), providing stability and control for advanced players.
Exotic Driver and Fairway Woods Shafts:
- Fujikura Ventus Black: Available in 6 (S, X) and 7 (S, X), offering enhanced performance and stability.
- Fujikura Ventus Blue: Options in 5 (R), 6 (S, X), and 7 (S, X), providing a unique combination of feel and control.
- Fujikura Ventus Red: Available in 5 (R2, R), delivering a responsive and dynamic feel for players seeking maximum performance.
SHAFT OPTIONS FOR HYBRIDS AND RESCUE CLUBS
Back to Contents
MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid: The Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid shaft, weighing 75g, offers a responsive feel with options in Regular (R) and Stiff (S) flex. This shaft is designed to enhance your hybrid’s performance, providing a balance of power and precision.
MCA Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid: Experience the power of the Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid shaft, weighing 90g with an Extra Stiff (X) flex. This shaft delivers stability and control for players seeking a powerful and consistent hybrid performance.
MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link Blue Hybrid: With a weight of 75g and flex options in Regular (R) and Stiff (S), the Tensei AV Series X-Link Blue Hybrid shaft is designed for responsiveness and stability. Elevate your hybrid game with this dynamic shaft.
MCA Tensei AV Series X-Link White Hybrid: The Tensei AV Series X-Link White Hybrid shaft, weighing 85g with an Extra Stiff (X) flex, offers a perfect blend of power and control. Experience a penetrating ball flight and optimal performance with this premium hybrid shaft.
PX Evenflow Riptide Hybrid: Weighing 85g with flex options in 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5, the Evenflow Riptide Hybrid shaft provides a smooth and consistent feel. This shaft is crafted for stability and precision, ensuring your hybrid delivers reliable performance on the course.
PX HZRDUS Black GEN4 Hybrid: The HZRDUS Black GEN4 Hybrid shaft, weighing 85g with flex options in 6.0 and 6.5, delivers explosive power and stability. Experience a penetrating ball flight and optimal control with this high-performance hybrid shaft.
PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hybrid: Available in 80g (6.0) and 90g (6.5), the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hybrid shaft provides a unique blend of power and control. Elevate your hybrid game with this versatile and responsive shaft.
Upgrades are available on all PXG Hybrid shafts. PXG’s current upgradable options in the shaft matrix include:
- MCA Kuro Kage Black Hybrid: Weighing 60g with an A flex, the Kuro Kage Black Hybrid shaft offers a lightweight and responsive feel. This premium shaft is crafted for players seeking enhanced control and precision with their hybrid shots.
- Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid: Elevate your hybrid game with the Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid shaft, available in flex options 7 (R), 8 (S), and 9 (X). Weighing in at 200g, this shaft delivers stability and control for players seeking a high-performance hybrid option.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-DI Hybrid: With flex options in 85 (S, X), the Tour AD-DI Hybrid shaft provides a stable and responsive feel. Weighing 200g, this premium shaft is designed for players who demand precision and control in their hybrid shots.
- Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ Hybrid: Available in 65 (R2) and 75 (R) flex, the Tour AD-IZ Hybrid shaft offers a responsive and dynamic feel. This 200g shaft is crafted for players seeking a versatile and high-performance hybrid option.
- KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid: With flex options in 85 (S) and 95 (X), the KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid shaft provides stability and control. Weighing 200g, this shaft is engineered for players seeking a premium hybrid shaft with maximum performance.
SHAFTS OPTIONS FOR IRONS AND WEDGES
Back to Contents
Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 60 (GEN5 BLE ONLY):
For a unique and exceptional iron experience, the Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 60 is exclusively crafted for GEN5 BLE irons. Weighing in at 60g with an A flex, this shaft provides a lightweight and responsive feel. The advanced technology in the Private Reserve series ensures a smooth and controlled swing, delivering consistent and precise iron shots.
Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 70 (GEN5 BLE ONLY):
Engineered exclusively for GEN5 BLE irons, the Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 70 shaft offers stability and control. Weighing 70g with an R flex, this shaft provides a balance between power and precision. Elevate your iron play with this high-performance shaft, delivering a smooth and reliable experience on the course.
Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 95 (GEN5 BLE ONLY):
Crafted exclusively for GEN5 BLE irons, the Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 95 shaft brings power and accuracy to your iron shots. Weighing 95g with an S flex, this shaft ensures a stable and controlled swing. Experience the benefits of advanced technology with this exclusive shaft designed for optimal iron performance.
Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110 (GEN5 BLE ONLY):
Exclusively designed for GEN5 BLE irons, the Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110 shaft is a powerhouse for your iron play. Weighing 110g with an S flex, this shaft offers stability and control for players seeking maximum performance. Elevate your iron game with this exclusive and powerful shaft.
KBS Tour Lite:
The KBS Tour Lite iron shaft is your ticket to a lightweight yet powerful iron experience. With options in 95 (R), 100 (S), and 105 (X), this shaft is designed for players seeking increased swing speed without compromising control. Enjoy a responsive feel and consistent performance with the KBS Tour Lite iron shaft.
The MCA MMT iron shaft series caters to a range of player preferences. With options in 50 (L), 60 (A), 70 (R), and 80 (S), this shaft provides a unique blend of power and precision. The MMT series delivers stability and control, ensuring a responsive and consistent iron performance tailored to your playing style.
Project X Cypher:
Unleash speed and precision with the Project X Cypher iron shaft series. Weighing in at 40 (4.0), 50 (5.0), and 60 (5.5), this lightweight shaft is perfect for players seeking increased swing speed and a responsive feel. The Cypher series offers a unique combination of power and accuracy for exceptional iron play.
True Temper Elevate MPH 95:
The True Temper Elevate MPH 95 iron shaft provides a balanced combination of power and control. With flex options in R and S, this shaft is designed to enhance your iron play. Experience a responsive feel and consistent performance with the Elevate MPH 95, ensuring your irons keep up with your swing.
True Temper Elevate MPH Tour:
The True Temper Elevate MPH Tour iron shaft series, available in S and X flex, delivers a high-performance iron experience. With a focus on control and precision, this shaft ensures a stable and powerful swing. Elevate your iron play with the Tour-level performance of the Elevate MPH Tour series.
UST Recoil DART:
The UST Recoil DART iron shaft series offers a dynamic blend of power and feel. With options in 55 (F1), 65 (F2), and 75 (F3, F4), this shaft provides stability and responsiveness. The Recoil DART series is crafted for players seeking a unique combination of control and distance in their iron shots.
Upgraded shafts are available on all PXG Irons and Wedges. PXG’s current upgradable options in the shaft matrix include:
- Accra iSeries: Versatile iron shafts available in 50g, 60g, 70g, and 80g weights, providing a balanced blend of power and precision.
- KBS C-Taper: A high-performing shaft series with options in 120g (S) and 130g (X), delivering stability and control for advanced players.
- KBS MAX Graphite: Lightweight graphite options in 45g (L), 55g (A), and 65g (R), designed for players seeking increased swing speed and distance.
- KBS TGI Graphite: Graphite shafts in 60g (A), 70g (R), and 80g (S), offering a responsive and stable feel for improved iron play.
- KBS Tour: Available in 110g (R), 120g (S), and 130g (X), the KBS Tour series delivers stability and control for a variety of player preferences.
- Nippon NS Pro 950GH: Weighing 95g (R, S), these iron shafts offer a lightweight yet stable option for enhanced control and feel.
- Project X Steel: A powerful steel shaft at 125g (6.5), providing stability and control for players seeking a penetrating ball flight.
- Project X LZ Steel: Steel shaft options at 120g (6.0) and 125g (6.5), offering a responsive and controlled feel for improved iron performance.
- True Temper Dynamic Gold: A classic choice with options in S400 and X100, delivering a stable and powerful feel for consistent iron play.
- True Temper Dynamic Gold 105: Weighing in at 105g (R, S), these shafts provide a lightweight option with the renowned Dynamic Gold performance.
- True Temper Dynamic Gold 120: Available in 120g (S, X), these shafts offer the iconic Dynamic Gold feel with added stability for advanced players.
- Aerotech SteelFiber 115fc CW: Crafted for control, this shaft in the S flex provides stability for players seeking precision in their iron shots.
- Aerotech SteelFiber 70: With options in A and R flex, this lightweight graphite shaft offers a blend of power and control for enhanced iron play.
- Aerotech SteelFiber 95 CW: Providing options in R and S flex, this graphite shaft ensures stability and responsiveness, catering to a variety of player preferences.
SHAFTS OPTIONS FOR PXG PUTTERS
Back to Contents
The PXG M16 Putter Shaft features a multi-material construction, with an upper section built from high modulus carbon fiber and a lower tip built from steel. Unlike typical steel putter shafts, this unique dual composition helps to deliver more stiffness and stability.
Note: The descriptions above aim to highlight the key features and benefits of each golf club shaft, helping customers make informed decisions based on their preferences and playing styles.